Friday, November 3, 2017

Elimination Discrimination - Part I & II - A little levity during this time

 ELIMINATION DISCRIMINATION - PART I
copywrite 2008

       We all like to walk on clean trails, woods, beaches and parks.  What I would like to know is why doesn’t the “pick up after you dog” rule apply to humans?   Frequently my dogs and I walk in the woods, and every season they find a pile of human excrement to relish.  No matter what season, spring, summer, winter and especially fall with hunting season. 
        Winter use to be a safe haven, because deep snow would hides the offending mass. Some might say if animals eliminate in the woods why can’t humans?  The difference, wild animals and dogs are taught to use the outdoors as their “rest area’ while people are “toilet trained”.  Eliminating for dogs is not only a biological function, but also a form of communication, scent marking and territory setting. As far as I know this is not a function for human elimination in today’s society. Certainly we all get caught off guard and the inevitable happens, but I recall being taught to “bury it”.
     It is infuriating to find my dogs dining on a pile of human poop.  The woods of southern New England are not as remote as they appear, and a toilet is usually not far away.  With a little planning nature’s way can be addressed before that hunt or hike, or swim, thus the need to go outdoors is squelched. 
     Places people choose to go are astonishing. Such as, behind a rock or maple tree located two steps off a trail. Put a little effort into it, walk further into the woods, and bury it. For emergencies, outfit yourself with your own baggy or hand trowel found at outdoor stores.  They sell very nice collapsible trowels. The “poop bag” stations meant for the dogs could be used for human as well.  Why not pack a personal bag, who is to know the difference if you are tossing human excrement or canine into the dumpster?  Smell up your own car, and not my dog and her dog mouth. 
     Human bowl movements rank worst of anything my dogs discover. Who knows what infection threatens my dog’s (or me, since I have to clean them.) as they wallow in human poop.   Who is to say what plethora of bacteria, preservatives, and toxins fermenting in that excrement might be harmful?
      I have, not by my own volition, become an aficionado on human stools.  At times I feel it is my super power. I almost feel I am able to identify if a hunter ate sausage and eggs for breakfast, the hiker tail mix, vegetarians lettuce and tomato, and why the logger got the runs.  I know you all more intimately than I would like. 
       Dogs are inherently driven to roll and eat fowl dead, stinking carcasses and fecal matter.  Anyone who owns a dogs can attest to their devouring kitty truffles, rabbit plops, or better yet snacking on those scrumptious horse apples, cow, or sheep slop. OH, I can’t leave out bear scat, deer dodo, and beaver yuck, with its delicate oily fish stench.  
     What people don’t realize is that human boombie trail is the prize of them all.  A dog owner is hard pressed to call their pet off a mound or human scrap left uncovered behind that rock or tree.  The woods are not entirely remote and untaversed, as we might like to believe.
       Keep this in mind as you venture off to relieve yourself.  Know that someone’s dog will find your treasure, and its owner will curse you for being so inconsiderate.  Chances are when you see your soiled skivvies, toilet paper, or whatever used to wipe your ass, hanging in a visible public space, near your area of depository - It was definitely me. 



THE INNOCENT


Willow 3 months old (1996)


Nash 3 months old  (2000) Willow son
 
Pearl 4 months old  (2009)

Willow Sunshine 3 months old 2012 (Nash x Pearl daughter)

Grace 4 months old 2016  (Nash's Grand daughter)

                      Halo 4 months old 2016  (Nash's Granddaughter)                                                                          
  

Elimination Discrimination: Part II  
     It was late one winter afternoon. Snow glistened on sun rays    Willow n Nash, and I were out for a walk when they both disappeared into the woods.   Neither dog responded to the call, which could mean only one thing; they have found something most excellent on which to dine.     My calls became more irate, and I whistled louder. Finally Willow appeared, and eventually Nash crept out of the woods with his mouth full.  I watched his jaw munch madly; a recognized behavior to mean one thing. I Could tell by way of his chomp on the a savory morsel. A frozen bark like mass gradually softened and became pliable with each chew.  As I approached the faster he chewed, and with one big gulp the clump was gone.  I gagged while Nash savored the last remaining scrap of his delicacy on his taste buds. We continued our walk, and I made a point to keep the dogs close on the return trip; I failed miserably.  Just over the snow covered stonewall, and a few steps down into the woods, a glacial bolder.  Behind the boulder, left by a human, two soiled spots stained the once pristine white snow.  Willow and Nash hastened to ravage the area as I scrambled to shoo them away. Nash just would not leave the spot even as I approached; he burrowed into the snow to find his prize.  Finally, I hauled him away and we went home.  During the drive home Nash sat directly behind the driver seat, all I could hear was the lick and suck of his tongue and jowls. The sound magnified and ricocheted off my eardrums.  Gag me.
     There are a multitude of such incidents, but the most memorable moment took place when Willow n Nash located a soiled pair of black underwear.  It was during hunting season in the year 2002, when both dogs disappeared behind a rock. It was our usual hiking area, and this was normal rodent hunting behavior.  I approached and noticed both dogs focused on a particular area. They did not display their usual hunting body language, which gave concern.  I gagged as I witness a horrifying sight of the two cleansing a pair of black skivvies.  With a stick, a very long sturdy stick, I picked up the caked undergarments, dogs trail behind like fish after a lure, and I placed the blob high in a tree.  Every day of that week the dogs managed to get a hold of the underwear, and each time I tried to relocate it. 
      Eventually, ground froze and snow fell, all was covered, and out of sight. Until one day Nash, who was two years old at the time, came barreling down the hillside with a black, frozen, malformed blob in his jaws.  He was so please with himself.  I didn’t realize what it was at first and asked him to retrieve his treasure. Like a good boy, he did.  With nothing left to do, I had him release the crusty cloth in my gloved hand, and praise him profusely for his marvelous retrieve.
      The saga continues from one year to the next, and from one generation to the next. From Willow n Nash, to Pearl, Willow Sunshine and Now, fifteen years after that marvelous frozen poopy retrieve by Nash, his Granddaughter has been soiled.  Grace - Sweet and innocent Grace.
      The year is 2017. It is hunting season. I walk with Grace and Halo, Willow’s great granddaughters, and Nash’s granddaughters,  in our favorite area.  Grace disappears long enough for me to have to call. 
     “One - one thousand, Two - one thousand, Three – One thousand…Okay Grace, where you are you?” I said, quietly under my breath. Halo and I turn around, and retrace our steps. Grace shoots out of the woods. Her tongue lip smacking her jowls as if she’s emptied a peanut butter jar.
    “What are you eating, Grace?” I said,  as she gleefully charges past.
    “Grace! Come back here, what is that smell!” I said, like she’s really cares what I have to say at this point. Her brain cells are fried.
     There! On her brand new collar, and smeared in her coat, is the tell tail sign of excrement from … you guessed it!  A HUMAN!
    “OH, Grace! How could you?” I said, in dismay.  So, it is, and off to the stream for a rinse. Fortunately there are towels in the car. It was a cold soapy hose bath when we got home, and the final touch; perfume to disguise the stench.  Soiled!  Grace been soiled!  Halo now remains the Innocent one. 

THE SOILED 
 Willow

 Nash

 Pearl 

 Willow Sunshine

 Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment