Sunday, January 29, 2017

As Long as there are Joys in Life - Carry On My Old Friend, Nash

   

    Nash has been with me as an old dog for nearly as long has he was young. It's been so long since we have run agility, walked through woods,harassed pedestrians as we drive by in a car, eat poop from hunters during hunting season, and done all those things we take for granted.  I have forgotten until something jogs my memory.  I suppose he has forgotten, too. This is who we are now.We have accepted this new stage of life, this new stage of old. He ages with Grace.




     Everyone has different criteria when it comes to their old dog.  Ruth said it best "As long as there is some joy in Life".  It could be sniffing, eating, peeing, sitting in the sun, or whatever.  Nash still has many joys in life at 16 1/2 years old, and despite his arthritis.  I count his blessings. I Love my boy. Willow's greatest gift.  To think he nearly didn't survive his birth.


Nash's Joys:  
* Sniffing poop and pee
* Of course checking out the girls
 * Heat Cycles - He LOVES the girls then, and they love him too - we won't get weird that they are all  related. Dirty old man.
* Laying outside in the sun, nose to wind.
* Sleeping in front of the fire
* Greeting me when I get home, yes he gets up with everyone, and I see him standing there with the group. 
* Food - Rice, eggs, crackers, oatmeal, treats, cheese, meat, broccoli, kibble only when dressed up with any of the previous mentioned food, and topped with Maple Syrup!  
* Car rides, Parties, and Going places.  
* Guilford
* Maine

you KNOW your dog is old when you start with lists of Joys, and things they still can do and can not do.  

youtube video







No comments:

Post a Comment