Friday, June 10, 2016

Little Stump

     

    


  There is nothing like a little added excitement to a morning walk.  The four girls (Pearl, Willow Sunshine, Grace and Halo) were huddled around a tiny stump. Their body language indicated curiosity.  As I approached I saw a fluffed up baby porcupine.  It was the cutest little thing, but certainly terrified surrounded by beasts and human.  Pack behavior was controlled with a harsh voice and stern words of "bad, bad, bad, and no.” I couldn’t think of anything else say, my brain reverted to primal thoughts, and unable to function rationally. It worked. An all-out quill mess prevented, and the life of a porcupine saved.  Imagine the mess if four dogs went into pack mode, and I had no control.  I am forever grateful for dogs that lean toward curiosity instead of defense.  Pearl and Halo exhibited the most prey drive.
     I broke off a sapping to use as a switch, got behind the baby and shuffled it into the woods.  The sapling kept dogs at bay, as I guided he porcupine into the wood and up a tree.  Except the porcupine, being young and small chose a dead stump six inches in diameter, and broken five feet off the ground. Once there was nowhere else to go it tried to climb a sapling, which began to bend and sway back toward earth. Eventually baby porcupine managed equilibrium, and carefully teetered on stump and sapling.
   We continued on our way. Dogs were praised and lots of treats awarded.  This was a good learning experience.  Dogs listened, and did not rush into the unknown. I thank the universe for a baby porcupine who hunkered down, and not an adult.  If it doesn't run, dogs won't chase.  


No comments:

Post a Comment