Monday, September 9, 2013

Porcupine

Thank goodness for a recall, or quizzical labs with in check prey drive.  While on our second walk of the day, or evening outing, we came across another porcupine.  This time in an open field with cover.  I knew something was out there, since Willow Sunshine was air scenting and switch backing through the brush cover.  It was most impressive.  Nash was with me, and Pearl, unaware of Sunshine's behavior, explored a remote area of the field. 

I knew Willow Sunshine had zeroed in on her prize when she landed a most spectacular point, frozen with rigid contemplation.   Her body clearly saying, " What is that!"  By now Pearl was enroute, now clued in by Sunshine's body language.  The pair have become avid hunters together, and set a solid base of communication.

Once I saw Willow Sunshine hit the point, I ran ahead. A tree was blocking my view.  I suspected a porcupine and my intuition was spot on.  That is when I began the recalls,  both girls looked poised to chase, but held back, when they heard my frantic calling.  Needless to say the recalls were not obediently obeyed, but when Nash and I ran in the opposite directions, and my tone more serious, the two girls decided it best to leave alone.  One last look by Pearl, and she came on the heals of Willow Sunshine.  Few!  Catastrophe, and vet visit,  diverted, once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment