Wednesday, December 26, 2012

First Christmas for Willow Sunshine

  Since family and friends celebrate the holiday with their respective families, my dogs and I tend to explore the woods or go for long hike during the holiday.  It has several years since we have been able to do this, with old Willow and her passing to raising puppies.  This year we explored the woods to the north of our home - When we first moved in we went east, and then pack of coyotes moved in, so we stayed clear of the woods behind the house.  

What a treasure!  The property is conservation land and some of it belongs to my neighbors. What magnificent boulders, and no trails, so we just wonder from one ridge to the next, Always going up, when we can, to get good a view of the landscape.  One point during the walk, we did one in the morning and another in the afternoon, Pearl came charging up to me, jumped up, and wiggled in the air with joy.  Her ears pinned back, her expression one of pure joy, as if to say "THIS IS THE BEST, I'M SO PSYCHED"!  Then she ran to explore some more with Willow Sunshine and Nash.

 In a way these walks are a bit of a test. There is a certain amount of trust building, bonding, as I let the dogs be dogs, and trust they will check in and come when called. I think they do the same with me, they watch me, and since I continually change direction, particularly when interesting landscapes catch my eye, or what looks like clearing, or stream that I might want to see. The cell phone is left home, better to rely on my senses, and the dogs, our sense of direction the only means home.  It focuses, sharpens, the mind, and forces me to tune into the woods and my dogs. It is liberating.  

This was Willow Sunshine’s first Christmas experience. Photos n Video below:





 

No comments:

Post a Comment